Diabetes being the most devastation disease in this era has ruined the quality of life for most of the individuals and people with diabetics once get diagnosed live with the fear of death every day, they feel oh my god am diabetic why me? i will die of complications further and i can never become normal never ever i can be happy at all. this is the mind set of most of the diabetics.
They will be in a mere shock and confusion what to do next? the most common talks they come across are, “hey you are diabetic? are u taking allopathic medicines? oh my god in a long run you will end up in a big mess u will not die of diabetics instead you will die because of the side effects of the medicine you are taking.”
Patient will be in a shock! what next? Another person says why not try homoeopathy? After so much of complications already with them finally they end up in safe hand!
But why this happens? Why not homoeopathy be the first line of approach for all rather than coming after to a safe system after being trashed by other system?
So, here in this article I am describing what actually diabetics is and what homoeopathy can offer for it.
LETS NOW KNOW WHAT ACTUALLY DIABETES MELLITUS IS:
Diabetes mellitus (DM), commonly referred to as diabetes, is a group of metabolic diseases in which there are high blood sugar levels over a prolonged period. Symptoms of high blood sugar include frequent urination, increased thirst, and increased hunger. If left untreated, diabetes can cause many complications. Acute complications include diabetic ketoacidosis and nonketotic hyperosmolar coma. Serious long-term complications include cardiovascular disease, stroke, chronic kidney failure, foot ulcers, and damage to the eyes.
Diabetes is due to either the pancreas not producing enough insulin or the cells of the body not responding properly to the insulin produced. There are three main types of diabetes mellitus:
- Type 1 DM results from the pancreas’s failure to produce enough insulin. This form was previously referred to as “insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus” (IDDM) or “juvenile diabetes”. The cause is unknown.
- Type 2 DM begins with insulin resistance, a condition in which cells fail to respond to insulin properly. As the disease progresses a lack of insulin may also develop. This form was previously referred to as “non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus” (NIDDM) or “adult-onset diabetes”. The primary cause is excessive body weight and not enough exercise.
- Gestational diabetes, is the third main form and occurs when pregnant women without a previous history of diabetes develop high blood-sugar levels.
Signs and symptoms: The classic symptoms of untreated diabetes are weight loss, polyuria (increased urination), polydipsia (increased thirst), and polyphagia (increased hunger). Symptoms may develop rapidly (weeks or months) in type 1 DM, while they usually develop much more slowly and may be subtle or absent in type 2 DM.
Several other signs and symptoms can mark the onset of diabetes, although they are not specific to the disease. In addition to the known ones above, they include blurry vision, headache, fatigue, slow healing of cuts, and itchy skin. Prolonged high blood glucose can cause glucose absorption in the lens of the eye, which leads to changes in its shape, resulting in vision changes. A number of skin rashes that can occur in diabetes are collectively known asdiabetic dermadromes.
Low blood sugar is common in persons with type 1 and type 2 DM. Most cases are mild and are not considered medical emergencies. Effects can range from feelings of unease, sweating, trembling, and increased appetite in mild cases to more serious issues such as confusion, changes in behavior, seizures, unconsciousness, and (rarely) permanent brain damage or death in severe cases. Mild cases are self-treated by eating or drinking something high in sugar. Severe cases can lead to unconsciousness and must be treated with intravenous glucose or injections with glucagon.
People (usually with type 1 DM) may also experience episodes of diabetic ketoacidosis, a metabolic disturbance characterized by nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain, the smell of acetone on the breath, deep breathing known as Kussmaul breathing, and in severe cases a decreased level of consciousness.
A rare but equally severe possibility is hyperosmolar nonketotic state, which is more common in type 2 DM and is mainly the result of dehydration.
All forms of diabetes increase the risk of long-term complications. These typically develop after many years (10–20), but may be the first symptom in those who have otherwise not received a diagnosis before that time.
The major long-term complications relate to damage to blood vessels. Diabetes doubles the risk of cardiovascular disease and about 75% of deaths in diabetics are due to coronary artery disease. Other “macrovascular” diseases are stroke, and peripheral vascular disease.
MOST COMMONLY PRESCRIBED REMEDIES FOR DIABETIC:
Common names: kala jam, nilaphala, navil, naval,
jamun, black plum
About the drug :Syzyg. is a native of India. It has an edible fruit, powdered seeds of which have a popular use in India as a remedy for diabetes
- Has an immediate effect of increasing the blood sugar, glycosuria results.A most useful remedy in DIABETES MELLITUS.
No other remedy causes in so marked degree the diminution and disappearance of SUGAR IN THE URINE.
- Old ulcers of skin. Diabetic ulceration.
- The most powerful remedy in DM, polydipsia; polyuria; profound prostration and emaciation.
- Mouth- sore throat and spongy gums
- PRICKLY HEAT IN UPPER PART OF THE BODY; small red pimples itch violently.
- Great thirst, weakness, emaciation
- Very large amounts of urine, specific gravity high.Stool- All sorts of bloody dysentery, chronic diarrhea and dysentery.
- Urinary- polyuria, glycosuria, increased frequency and quantity day and night; high specific gravity.
- Skin- prickly heat on the upper body and arms; skin covered with small red papules which itch intensely. Chronic ulcers; diabetic ulcers.
If administered at suitable intervals in diabetes mellitus, the blood sugar is maintained at a normal level and the urine remains free of sugar.
Clinically- DM with acne, boils, carbuncles, itching eczema, gout and varicose ulcers.
INDICATION FOR PALLIATION IF CURE IS NOT POSSIBLE IN CASES OF DIABETICS WITH COMPLICATIONS:
- Cases with irreversible and structural damage like advanced cases of cancer, mitral stenosis, nephritis, nephritic syndrome.
- The cases often discouraging at time hopeless. Case palliated by homoeopathic methods remains until patient die.
- After correct indicated remedy homoeopathic aggravation last for long time and patient general condition continuous to deteriorate.
- After indicated remedy quick short amelioration followed by aggravation.
- The amelioration after homoeopathic aggravation does not last.
- Some of symptoms improve but patient does not regain sense of wellbeing.
- After indicated remedy the symptoms go opposite direction to
CONCLUSION WITH CLINICAL TIPS :
Here in a practical point of view, I would like to give my opinion that lets be a classical homoeopathic prescriber and be true to our system.
I am a beginner in homoeopathy and I am practicing it also, yes when the case is not very clear and some patients do demand for fast relief of their disease and also has no patientce to wait for the actual results or cure.
Instead they make us give medicines with no time, so we do tend to go for a sector approach, but as per what I have seen its only palliation and we are practicing the principles of other system in the name of similia similibus curentur instead of actually practicing similia similibus curantur.
Yes, what I ment to say is that the best way of approach is always an CONSTITUTIONAL APPROACH and if you get the cases with complications and irreversible pathology there is nothing to worry we have a key to it that is EFFECTIVE PALLIATION a specific remedy in homoeopathy a similimum.
Blackness of external parts – diabetes in: Ars.S,M, con.S,M, kreos.M, lach.S,M, sec.S,M, solid.S,M
Clammy – diabetes in: Uran nit.M
Coldness – diabetes in: Sulph ac.Kr
Dry skin – diabetes in: kali br.Kr, lac ac.Kr, sulph ac.Kr, uran nit.Kr
Eruption – Petechiae – diabetes in: Sec.Kr
Eruption – miliary – diabetes in: Tarent.Kr
Flabby – relaxed – Skin – diabetes in: Nat s.Kr
Gangrene – diabetes in: Carb ac.S,M, con.S,M, lach.S,M, sec.Kr,M, solid.S,M
Gangrenous inflammation – diabetes in: nat pyru.S, sec.S
Aching – joints – diabetes in: Rat.Kr
Crawling – limbs – diabetes in: Uran nit.Kr
Formication – limbs – diabetes in: Uran nit.Kr
Gouty symptoms – diabetes with: Lac ac.M, nat s.M
Heaviness – legs – diabetes in: Sec.Kr
Heaviness – feet – diabetes in: Nat s.Kr
Numbness – legs – diabetes in: Nux v.Kr
Pain – ankle – diabetes in: Nat s.Kr
Anaemia – diabetes in: Podo.Kr
Diabetes Mellitus: ACET AC.Kr, all s.Kr,Cl, alumn.Cl, am acet.Cl, am c.Kr, anthro.Cl, antim tart.L, arg met.Bs,Cl, arg nit.Cl, arist m.Cl, arn.Cl, ars.Bs, ars br.Cl, aspar.Kr,Cl, bar m.L, bov.L,Cl, calc.Kr, calc p.Cl, carb ac.Kr, carb v.Bs,L, carl.Cl, chim.Kr,Cl, chin.Kr,L, chin s.Kr,, cod.Cl, colch.Cl, coloc.Kr,Bs,Cl, con.Kr, cop.Kr, cupr.Kr, cur.Kr,Cl, dulc.C, equis.C, eup pur.Cl, ferr.Kr,C, ferr i.Kr,Cl, ferr m.Cl, ferr p.Kr,Cl, helon.Kr, hydr.Kr, ign.C, iod.Cl, indol.C, kali ars.Cl, kali br.Kr,Cl, kali m.Kr, kali n.Kr, kali p.Kr, kiss.Cl, kreos.Bs,L, LAC AC.Kr, lac v.Cl, led.L, lycps.Kr, mag c.L, mag s.Kr, med.Kr, mosch.Cl, murx.Cl, nat m.Kr, nat p.Cl, nat s.Cl, oxyg.Cl, ph ac.Kr,L, phos.L, Pic ac.Cl, plb.Kr, ran b.Bs, rat.Kr, rhus a.Cl, sacchin.L, sanic.Cl, sec.Cl, sep.Bs, sil.Cl, squill.Bs,L, stict.Cl, sulph ac.Kr,Bs,Cl, sulph.Kr, syzyg.Cl, tarax.Kr,Cl, tarent.Kr, TER.Kr, thuj.Bs,L, tril.Kr,Cl, urea.Cl, uran nit.Kr, Vichy g.Cl
- Pockect manual of Homoeopathic Materia Medica and Repertory, reprint edition 1996, B jain publishers pvt ltd – New Delhi
- Lectures on Homoeopathic Materia Medica , B jain publishers pvt ltd – New Delhi
- The principles and art of cure by homoeopathy, B jain publishers pvt ltd-New Delhi reprint edition
- Davidson’s Principles and Practice of Medicine 23rd Edition
- Homoeopathic encyclopedia – radar
- Boger C.M. – Boenninghausen’s characteristics and Repertory (B)
- Boger C.M. – Synoptic Key
- Schroyens Frederick – Synthesis Repertory
- Phatak – A concise Repertory on Homoeopathic Materia medica
- Rogar Van Zanvoort – Complete Repertory
- Clarke J.H. – Clinical Repertory